Professor, Biomedical Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, Chemistry & Biochemistry
Degrees and Appointments
- Ph.D. 2004, University of California, Los Angeles
- Ph.D. 1999, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
- M.S. 1994, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
- B.S. 1992, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
Awards and Honors
- Co-Director, NIH Cardiovascular Biomedical Engineering Training Grant, 2016-present
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Biological Engineering (jbioleng.biomedcentral.com), 2014-present
- President, Institute of Biological Engineering (www.ibe.org), 2015
Handheld PCR and LAMP
Tissue Engineering and Organ-on-a-Chip
Water Quality and Food Safety
For more information, visit http://biosensors.abe.arizona.edu/Full publication list
- Katherine E. Klug, Kelly A. Reynolds and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "A Capillary Flow Dynamics-Based Sensing Modality for Direct Environmental Pathogen Monitoring," Chemistry - A European Journal, 2018, doi:10.1002/chem.201800085. Hot Paper. Inside Cover. Highlighted in ChemistryViews Magazine.
- Ariana M. Nicolini, Tyler D. Toth, Samuel Y. Kim, M. Alejandra Mandel, David W. Galbraith and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Mie Scatter and Interfacial Tension Based Real-Time Quantification of Colloidal Emulsion Nucleic Acid Amplification," Advanced Biosystems, 2017, 1(10): 1700098. Front Cover.
- Soohee Cho and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Organ-on-a-Chip for Assessing Environmental Toxicants," Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 2017, 45: 34-42.
- Soohee Cho, Argel Islas-Robles, Ariana M. Nicolini, Terrence J. Monks and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "In Situ, Dual-Mode Monitoring of Organ-on-a-Chip with Smartphone-Based Fluorescence Microscope," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2016, 86: 697-705.
- Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Introduction to Biosensors: From Electric Circuits to Immunosensors," Second Edition, Springer: New York, 2016, ISBN: 978-3-319-27411-9. Top 25% most downloaded Springer books in 2016.
- Dustin K. Harshman, Brianna M. Rao, Jean E. McClain, George S. Watts and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Innovative qPCR Using Interfacial Effects to Enable Low Threshold Cycle Detection and Inhibition Relief," Science Advances, 2015, 1(8): e1400061. Highlighted in 3D Perspectives, KUAZ/KUAT (PBS/NPR) Radio, Genomeweb, BioCentury, UANews, ScienceDaily, FARS News, AZBio, Science World Report, PhysOrg, Infection Control Today, Surgical Products, Machines Like Us, Biocompare, Business Standard, 2015 Tech, Science Newsline Medicine, Medical Design Technology, Technology Networks, BioSpace, The News On Time, Deccan Chronicle, EurekaAlert!, medGadget, Pharmacy Choice, Genomeweb, The Korea Times, and more.
- Soohee Cho+, Tu San Park+, Tigran G. Nahapetian and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Smartphone-Based, Sensitive µPAD Detection of Urinary Tract Infection and Gonorrhea," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2015, 74: 601-611. (+ these authors contributed equally.)
- Scott V. Angus+, Soohee Cho+, Dustin K. Harshman, Jae-Young Song and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "A Portable, Shock-Proof, Surface-Heated Droplet PCR System for Escherichia coli Detection," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2015, 74: 360-368. (+ these authors contributed equally.)
- Ariana M. Nicolini, Christopher F. Fronczek and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Droplet-Based Immunoassay on a 'Sticky' Nanofibrous Surface for Multiplexed and Double Detection of Bacteria Using Smartphones," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2015, 67: 560-569. Highlighted in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (GEN).
- Tu San Park, Cayla Baynes, Seong-In Cho and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Paper Microfluidics for Red Wine Tasting," RSC Advances, 2014, 4(46): 24356-24362. Highlighted in RSC Advances Blog.
- Dustin K. Harshman, Roberto Reyes, Tu San Park, David J. You, Jae-Young Song and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, “Enhanced Nucleic Acid Amplification with Blood in Situ by Wire-Guided Droplet Manipulation (WDM),” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2014, 53: 167-174.
- Tu San Park, Wenyue Li, Katherine E. McCracken and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Smartphone Quantifies Salmonella from Paper Microfluidics," Lab on a Chip, 2013, 13(24): 4832-4840.
- Phat L. Tran, Jessica R. Gamboa, Katherine E. McCracken, Mark R. Riley, Marvin J. Slepian and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Nanowell-Trapped Charged Ligand-Bearing Nanoparticle Surfaces - A Novel Method of Enhancing Flow-Resistant Cell Adhesion," Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2013, 2(7): 1019-1027. Back Cover. Highlighted in UANews.
- Pei-Shih Liang and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Optofluidic Lab-on-a-chip Monitoring of Subsurface Bacterial Transport," Biological Engineering Transactions, 2013, 6(1): 17-28. Featured in ASABE Publications and Arizona Engineer. Received 2014 ASABE Superior Paper Award.
- Christopher F. Fronczek, David J. You and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Single-Pipetting Microfluidic Assay Device for Rapid Detection of Salmonella from Poultry Package," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2013, 40(1): 342-349.
- David J. You, Tu San Park and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Cell-Phone-Based Measurement of TSH Using Mie Scatter Optimized Lateral Flow Assays," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2013, 40(1): 180-185.
- Jeong-Yeol Yoon and Bumsang Kim, "Lab-on-a-Chip Pathogen Sensor for Food Safety," Sensors, 2012, 12(8): 10713-10741.
- David J. You, Kenneth J. Geshell and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Direct and Sensitive Detection of Foodborne Pathogens within Fresh Produce Samples Using a Field-Deployable Handheld Device," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2011, 28(1): 399-406. Highlighted in KUAT (PBS) TV, UANews, PhysOrg, Western Farm Press, Dong-A Ilbo, and more.
- David J. You, Phat L. Tran, Hyuck-Jin Kwon, Deepa Patel and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Very Quick Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction for Detecting 2009 H1N1 Influenza A Using Wire-Guide Droplet Manipulations," Faraday Discussions, 2011, 149(1): 159-170. Editor's pick of hot article.
- Hyuck-Jin Kwon, Chang-Hee Lee, Eun-Jin Choi, Jae-Young Song, Brian C. Heinze and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Optofluidic Device Monitoring and Fluid Dynamics Simulation for the Spread of Viral Pathogens in a Livestock Environment," Journal of Environmental Monitoring (presently Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts), 2010, 12(11): 2138-2144. Featured in Resource.
- Jeong-Yeol Yoon and David J. You, "Backscattering Particle Immunoassays in Wire-Guide Droplet Manipulations," Journal of Biological Engineering, 2008, 2: 15. Highly accessed.
- Jin-Hee Han, Brian C. Heinze and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Single Cell Level Detection of Escherichia coli in Microfluidic Device," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2008, 23(8): 1303-1306.
- Lonnie J. Lucas, Jennine N. Chesler and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Lab-on-a-Chip Immunoassay for Multiple Antibodies Using Microsphere Light Scattering and Quantum Dot Emission," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2007, 23(5): 675-681.
- Lonnie J. Lucas, Jin-Hee Han, Jennine Chesler and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Latex Immunoagglutination for a Vasculitis Marker in a Microfluidic Device Using Static Light Scattering Detection," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2007, 22(9-10): 2216-2222.
- Tremaine Powell and Jeong-Yeol Yoon, "Fluorescent Biorecognition of Gold Nanoparticle - IgG Conjugates Self-Assembled on E-Beam Patterns," Biotechnology Progress, 2006, 22(1): 106-110. Most accessed article in 2006.
- Jeong-Yeol Yoon and Robin L. Garrell, "Preventing Biomolecular Adsorption in Electrowetting-Based Biofluidic Chips," Analytical Chemistry, 2003, 75(19): 5097-5102.
- Jiaxing Huang, Veronica M. Egan, Hailan Guo, Jeong-Yeol Yoon, Alejandro L. Briseno, Robin L. Garrell, Charles M. Knobler, Feimeng Zhou and Richard B. Kaner, "Enantioselective Discrimination of D- and L-Phenylalanine by Chiral Polyanaline Thin Films," Advanced Materials, 2003, 15(14): 1158-1161.
- Jeong-Yeol Yoon, Ham-Yong Park, Jung-Hyun Kim and Woo-Sik Kim, "Adsorption of BSA on Highly Carboxylated Microspheres - Quantitative Effects of Surface Functional Groups and Interaction Forces," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 1996, 177(2), 613-620. Erratum, 1996, 182(2), 617.