How to Apply to the Chemistry & Biochemistry Graduate Programs:
Fall Semester Admission: Application materials must be submitted before January 5 (for all applicants). Application review will begin January 5, and we will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled.
Spring Semester Admission: The Department will occasionally offer Spring Semester admission to very highly qualified students. If you are interested in Spring admission, please contact the Graduate Coordinator for more details before submitting an application. No application for Spring semester admission can be considered after October 1.
1. Three letters of recommendation. One of the letters must come from your research advisor. These letters should be submitted by your referees using the online system.
2. Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended or are currently attending. Transcripts should be uploaded in your online application.
3. A brief Statement of Purpose, describing your past research experiences, goals, teaching experience and why you want to attend The University of Arizona.
4. GRE scores.
- U.S. applicants: The general GRE exam is required. The chemistry subject exam is recommended but not required.
- International applicants: Both the general and subject exams are recommended but not required; however, students who enter the program have typically taken at least the general exam.
Be sure to use code 4832 for The University of Arizona and code 0301 for Chemistry. Photocopies of the scores are fine for the initial application review, however, if you are admitted to the program, official scores from ETS are required.
5. TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Please self-report your total internet-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score and upload a copy of your score report. English proficiency is one of the conditions for admission for all applicants whose native language is not English. A minimum aggregate TOEFL score of 80, with a score of at least 23 on the speaking portion, is required for admission. An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) total minimum score of 7.5 or above with no score lower than 7 on any section of the test. A score of 8 is the recommended level.
Please upload all application materials to your online application.
Please see our Application Timeline page for more information.
An official transcript from a U.S. college or university is one that has been issued by the institution in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution. Copies of transcripts should be submitted through your online application for evaluation purposes.
The transcript must contain the official school seal or stamp and the signature of the Registrar. Transfer credits indicated on another school's transcript are not acceptable in lieu of submitting the original institutional record for that coursework.
For international applicants attending colleges or universities abroad, we require a comprehensive record of all study completed or in progress. The record can be in the form of officially certified transcripts or yearly marksheets, including copies of all degree certificates conferred. All foreign-language documents must be accompanied by the certified English translation.
Transcripts must be uploaded to your online application. If you wish to send official copies, you may send them to:
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of Arizona
1306 East University Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85721-0041
CONTACTING THE DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY & BIOCHEMISTRY: