The University of Arizona
Department of Astronomy
Department of Chemistry
933 North Cherry Avenue
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0065
(520) 621-6525/626-5256 (lab)
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley 1984 (Physical Chemistry) Advisor: Richard J. Saykally
Postdoc Research Associate 1984-1988
Assistant Professor 12/88-4/93
Associate Professor 4/93-12/96
Associate Professor 1/97-8/99
Project Scientist, Sub-Millimeter Telescope 1/00-present
Director, Kitt Peak 12 m Radio Telescope 8/00-present
Director, Arizona Radio Observatory (SMT and KP12 m) 7/02-present
Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Lambda Upsilon Chemistry Honor Society
Sigma Pi Sigma Physics Honor Society
American Astronomical Society
American Chemical Society
International Astronomical Union
American Physical Society
National Academies Space Studies Board: Committee on the Origin and Evolution of Life in the Universe (COEL) 2000- 2004
National Academies Board on Physics & Astronomy: Committee on Radio Frequencies (CORF) 2004- 2010
Co-Organizer, Special Session, “Highlights in Laboratory Astrophysics,” 206th American Astronomical Society Meeting 2005
Co-Organizer, NASA Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop 2006
International Advisory Committee, The Ohio State University International Symposium on Molecular Spectroscopy 2005 - present
Laboratory Astrophysics Working Group, AAS 2009 - present
Editorial Board, Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy 2009 - 2011
IAU Working Group on Abundances in Red Giants 2009 - present
Member, International Space Science Institute (ISSI) Team: “Methane Balance –Formation and Destruction Processes on Planets and their Satellites” 2010- present
Member, Event Horizon Telescope Team 2011- present
Scientific Organizing Committee, Bringing Black Holes into Focus: The Event Horizon Telescope 2012
Chair, International Advisory Committee, Ohio State University International Symposium on Molecular Spectroscopy 2008-2011 \
Fellow of the American Physical Society elected 2008
Outstanding Faculty Member: University of Arizona Graduate & Professional Student Council 2009
Elizabeth and Keith Hege Galileo Circle Fellow 2011
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Astrophysical Journal (Letters)
Australian Journal of Chemistry
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
Chemical Physics Letters
Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
Journal of the American Chemical Society
Journal of Physical Chemistry
Journal of Chemical Physics
Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy
Journal of Vacuum Technology
Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics (PCCP)
Journal of Alloys and Compounds
1. Jessica Edwards: B.S. in Physics and Astronomy 2006 Florida Institute of Technology.
3. Jie Min: B.S., M.S. in Chemistry 2007 University of Wuhan, Wuhan, China.
6. Deborah Schmidt:
B.S. in Physics 2012 Franklin and Marshall College, Pennsylvania.
(joint mentorship with Professor S. Wyckoff, Department of Physics and Astronomy).
2. "High Resolution Millimeter/Sub-mm Spectroscopic Studies of Metal-Containing Molecules," Mark A. Anderson, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Arizona State University, December 1994.
3. "High Resolution Spectroscopic Studies of Metal-Containing Molecules," Baozhong Li, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Arizona State University, May 1997.
4. "High Resolution Millimeter/Sub-Millimeter Wave Spectroscopic Studies of Iron- Containing Free Radicals," Michael D. Allen, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Arizona State University, May 1997.
5. "Millimeter-Wave Studies of Molecules in the Laboratory and in Space," Aldo J. Apponi, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Arizona State University, May 1997.
6. "The Chemistry of Metal-Containing Molecules in the Circumstellar Envelopes of Late-Type Stars: Millimeter-Wave Observations and Abundance Modeling," Jaime L. Highberger, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, October 2003.
7. "High Resolution Millimeter-Wave Spectroscopy of Metal-Containing Species: Examining Fundamental Ligand Interactions," Phillip M. Sheridan, Ph.D. in Chemistry,
University of Arizona, October 2003.
8. "Ions, Isotopes, and Metal Cyanides: Observational and Laboratory Studies," Chandra S. Savage, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, May 2004.
9. "High Resolution Millimeter-wave Spectroscopy of Metal Hydrosulfides and Imides," Alexandra J. Jancyzk, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, October 2005.
10. "Studies in Laboratory Spectroscopy and Radio Astronomy: From Simple Hydrides to Complex Organic Molecules," DeWayne T. Halfen, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University
of Arizona, May 2006.
11. "High Resolution Spectroscopy of Transition Metal-Containing Free Radicals: Investigating High Angular Momentum States," Michael A. Flory, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, July 2007.
12. "Following Carbon's Evolutionary Path: From Nucleosynthesis to the Solar System," Stefanie N. Milam, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, December 2007.
13. "Millimeter Wave Studies of Circumstellar Chemistry," Emily D. Tenenbaum, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, May 2009. (PhD thesis awarded College of Science Award for Academic Excellence in Scholarship 2010).
14. “Fourier Transform Microwave Spectroscopy of Metal-Containing Transient Molecules,” Ming Sun, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, Dec. 2010.
15. "Observational and Experimental Astrochemistry: A
High Resolution Gas Phase Study of Metal Containing Species in the Laboratory and
Circumstellar Envelopes of Stars,"
2. "Studies of Metal-Containing Molecules Using a High Resolution Millimeter/Sub-millimeter Spectrometer," Benjamin P. Nuccio, M.S. in Chemistry, Arizona State University, May 1996.
3. "A Survey of Perturbations to the Pure Rotational Spectra of Molecules," Matthew A. Brewster, M. S. in Physics, University of Arizona, June 2001.
4. "High Resolution Millimeter-Wave Spectroscopy of 3d-Block Transition-Metal Sulfides," Jeffrey M. Thompsen, M. S. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, August 2001.
5. "High Resolution Millimeter-Wave Spectroscopy of Copper Hydrosulfide," Shannon K. Walter, M. S. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, January 2004.