Department History

  • 1891 - UA is founded and the first Chemistry Professor is hired - Charles B. Collingwood
  • 1893 - College of Natural Science is formed; Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Geology
  • 1899 - Frank Guild is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry and Optical Mineralogy
  • 1903 - UA catalog lists Organic Chemistry
  • 1909 - Completion of Science Hall, depts. of Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Civil Engineering
  • 1923 - Earnest Hall is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1952
  • 1936 - First phase of the Chemistry and Physics building is completed (Old Chemistry)
  • 1948 - Second phase of Old Chemistry building is completed, now including Pharmacy
  • 1952 - Lathrop Roberts is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1958
  • 1957 - Stan Greenberg, a student in Professor Forster’s lab, becomes the first PhD candidate
  • 1958 - Henry Freiser is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1967
  • 1961 - Carl "Speed" Marvel retires from the U. Illinois and joins UA Chemistry dept as a Professor
  • 1967 - Donald J. Hanahan is the founding Head of the Biochemistry Dept, a position he held until 1975
  • 1968 - John P. Schaefer is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1970
  • 1970 - Henry Hall is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1973
  • 1971 The "New Chemistry" building is dedicated; it is named the Marvel Laboratories of Chemistry in 1984
  • 1973 - Lee B. Jones is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1977
  • 1973 - Tri-College Biochemistry Dept is formed between Science, Medicine, Agriculture
  • 1975 - Christopher K. Mathews is appointed Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position he held until 1976
  • 1976 - Herbert E. Carter is appointed Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position he held until 1981
  • 1977 - W. Ron Salzman is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1983
  • 1981 - John H. Law is appointed Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position he held until 1986
  • 1983 - George Atkinson is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1988
  • 1984 - The Carl S. Marvel Laboratories of Chemistry is dedicated; formerly known as "New Chemistry"
  • 1986 - Michael A. Wells is appointed Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position he held until 1995
  • 1989 - Neal Armstrong is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 1994
  • 1988 - Michael Wells in the Biochemistry Dept starts Undergraduate Biology Research Program
  • 1992 - John Law in the Biochemistry Dept is named to the National Academy of Sciences
  • 1994 - Dennis Lichtenberger is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 2002
  • 1995 - Marc E. Tischler  is appointed interim Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position he held until 1999
  • 1999 - Thomas O. Baldwin is appointed Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position he held until 2008
  • 2002 - Mark Smith is appointed Dept Head of Chemistry, a position he held until 2009
  • 2006 - The Chemical Sciences Building is dedicated, replacing the former biology greenhouses
  • 2008 - Vicki H. Wysocki is appointed Dept Head of Biochemistry, a position she held until 2009
  • 2009 - Dept of Chemistry & Biochemistry (CBC) forms; Mark Smith, Chair; Vicki Wysocki, Co-Chair
  • 2010 - Vicki H. Wysocki is appointed CBC Chair and Scott Saavedra CBC Co-Chair
  • 2012 - Scott Saavedra is appointed CBC Chair and Roger L. Miesfeld CBC Co-Chair
  • 2014 - Roger L. Miesfeld is appointed CBC Dept Head